Your office is as much a part of your brand as your marketing materials and it needs to make a great first impression on new clients. It should always feel like a welcoming but professional space for existing clients. Here are some ideas for making sure your office makes a positive impression:
- Your receptionist or assistant should greet everyone warmly and by name.
- Make sure your reception area is comfortable and neat. No files and papers in piles on desks.
- Have a place for your clients’ coats, umbrellas, etc.
- A member of your staff should offer coffee, tea, water, cookies or fruit – use real plates and mugs, perhaps with your logo.
- Make sure any periodicals in your waiting area are up-to-date and that they are appropriate for your clients.
- Never discuss other client business in the presence of clients who are in the office.
- Have the client’s paperwork ready and waiting for discussion.
- Decide on appropriate dress for you and your staff – that’s a first impression as well.
Don’t assume that all of this is happening at your office. Next time you walk into your office, observe your surroundings like a client might, what do you see? Use the above checklist to make sure your office makes a great first impression.